Whats the best light weight wheelchair - wheels on?

Postby bungeet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 pm

After 40 years on crutches I find I now have to transition to a wheelchair to maintain independence. I need a light weight chair that I can pull into the back of a coupe - with the wheels on, because I find it to difficult to take off and lift across - even the quick release wheels. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :P
bungeet

Re: Whats the best light weight wheelchair - wheels on?

Postby Judi Potts » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi, There are really so many on the market that you'd be best to go to an OT/Physio to get properly sorted. They can arrange for you to see different kinds based on what your needs are and how physically active you are etc etc etc.

Not a very exciting answer but getting your first wheelchair is something that you want to get right from the get go, otherwise you can suffer pain and discomfort.

Cheers
Judi Potts

Postby CoolMobility » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Old TiLite X-Fold is good (don't like newer TiLite folders as much). For wheels on storage inside car get zero degree camber on rear axles as otherwise chair wheels much wider at bottom.

You need expert advice on best chair for you but titanium chairs are great in that they are light and scratches don't show, but they are expensive. Big decisions are removable footrest? armrest types or at all? folding handles? - these all make a big difference in car meets wheelchair.

Also very much depends upon the coupe you drive. I drive a coupe too and not much space behind seat for chair. Some people I've known remove the rear seat base for extra room ...
CoolMobility

Postby colin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:01 pm

hello.
Last year i converse my car to the wheelchair accessible for my friend.This service is provide by the capital services.This is very helpful for the disabled.Now my friend can himself get in and out of the car and is happy with that.
colin

Return to Support, Equipment & Funding