- What happens to the spinal cord after injury?
- Recovery and early stages of rehabilitation
- How do I move?
- Your bladder and spinal cord injury
- Your bowel and spinal cord injury
- Your skin after spinal cord injury
- Sexual health and spinal cord injury
What happens to the spinal cord after injury?
Many things happen to your body immediately after a spinal cord injury. These physical changes are probably coupled with a range of emotions, from shock or disbelief, to anxiety or fear.
Spinal cord injury may feel catastrophic; many describe it as the single most devastating experience of their lives.
This section of SpinalHub will start to take you through what actually happens in the spinal cord and your nervous system after injury.
By giving you some understanding of what is going on, you will be able to manage your injury well and get back to the things in life that are important to you.