Neuropathic Pain Management

Postby vwhoon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm a C5/6 complete quad and have been battling neuropathic/segmental pain for 3 years now. its been getting worse and worse as the days go by. it feels like i have been burnt with hot oil on both my forearms. Could anyone out there in a similar situation who has found a way to manage this give me some ideas.

thanks 8-)
vwhoon

Re: Neuropathic Pain Management

Postby macca » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:11 pm

hey vw hoon, suffered in silence with nerve pain for 16 years. Thankfully only get it in one arm.Got nothing for you and nothing seems to work. :(
macca

Postby munkydays » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:40 am

Hey there,
I have pretty full on neuropathic pain all through both legs and buttocks. It is pretty relentless. I currently have Lyrica prescribed and this helps a little, i find that if im busy doing something then i dont think about the pain (therefore im not 'feeling' it). the real tricky time is at night particularly when im trying to sleep. initially i was using stilnox to help me sleep, but this was too full on and id sleep 12 hours so now i use a little endep to put me asleep.
I dont have an answers other that keep busy, keep your mind on other things and you'll get better at ignoring the pain.
munkydays

Postby macca » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 am

munkydays wrote:Hey there,
I have pretty full on neuropathic pain all through both legs and buttocks. It is pretty relentless. I currently have Lyrica prescribed and this helps a little, i find that if im busy doing something then i dont think about the pain (therefore im not 'feeling' it). the real tricky time is at night particularly when im trying to sleep. initially i was using stilnox to help me sleep, but this was too full on and id sleep 12 hours so now i use a little endep to put me asleep.
I dont have an answers other that keep busy, keep your mind on other things and you'll get better at ignoring the pain.

Yes, the brain is amazing. Im glad i didnt damage mine when i broke my neck!
macca

Postby macca » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 am

Yes, the brain is amazing. Im glad i didnt damage mine when i broke my neck!
macca

Postby Adi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:02 pm

Not very positive responses, eh? Can you let us know if you do find an answer
Adi

Postby wheels572 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi All,
i've been plagued by neuropathic pain nearly 20 years, have it in both legs, burn like heck to the back of my knees and pins n needles to my toes... have tried everything they could prescribe and all with not an inkling of benefit... my brain is the only thing that keeps it at bay, distraction is all that keeps me from wanting to cut the damn things off.
my left arm constantly feels like it's sunburnt and the slightest touch would bring tears to my eyes... have been on a combination of tegratol & endep and that has reduced the pain from excruciating to bearable...
Hoping they come up with some solutions for us soon...
Cheers :o)
wheels572

Postby Dagwood » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:53 pm

I've been a C6/7 quad for 17 years and had pain in my arms and thumbs but it's reduced significantly over the years so there is some hope.
Dagwood

Postby Serge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:07 pm

We’d expect that for neuropathic pain (pain cause by defected nerves) Lyrica could be a better option than Tramadol.
Serge

Postby SPD » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi All,
I've recently come across a pain info site www.retrainpain.org that has some really good info about pain mechanisms & how to understand it and manage it. Lyrica can certainly be of help for some & distraction can be a useful strategy too.
Sarah
SPD

Return to How to Keep Healthy